Silverbirch Medical Practice, Bangor, County Down, Northern Ireland

Foreign travel advice

Travel clinic appointments are available via our Bangor Travel Clinic

You can visit the Fit For Travel website to see if you are likely to need travel vaccines or any other medications for travelling to your chosen destination.  There is a fee of £25 per person for travel clinic consultations with discounts for families and groups.  There is no charge for vaccines covered by the NHS and the consultation fee is deducted from the cost of any private vaccines purchased.

At your appointment you will be advised of any vaccinations required, any specific medicines you should take with you and whether you need tablets for malaria prophylaxis.  You will also be given general advice on staying healthy while travelling and reducing your risk of contracting illnesses that are not vaccine-preventable.  You must ensure to make a travel clinic appointment at least 6 weeks before departure to ensure adequate time for vaccinations.

Below are a number of diseases you may wish to ask about when visiting the travel clinic prior to travelling abroad. Your doctor or travel nurse will advise you on your requirements depending on which destinations you are travelling to.

  • Polio
  • Tetanus
  • Typhoid
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Yellow Fever
  • Japanese Encephalitis
  • Zika Virus
  • Diptheria
  • Malaria

Self help

Here are some simple self help tips you can follow to make your trip safer:

  • Be safe
  • Be hygienic
  • Take a small first aid kit including re-hydration sachets
  • Watch what you eat
  • Drink bottled water only
  • Avoid ice cubes if they are made with tap water
  • Use effective sun protection i.e. high factor sun creams
  • Take any medication your GP advises to protect yourself, such as Malaria tablets

Further advice on staying healthy while abroad can be found at the department of Health web site

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Did you know that you can claim back most of your treatment and medication costs if you fall ill or have an accident in Europe? That's as long as you carry a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

From 1 January 2006 the E111 form has been replaced by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) so if you are a UK resident, you can apply for an EHIC.

The EHIC entitles the holder to free or reduced cost, state-provided medical treatment if you fall ill or have an accident while visiting any country in the European Economic Area (EEA). Please note that an EHIC is not a substitute for comprehensive travel insurance and will not cover further treatment or repatriation. Your travel insurance policy may however require that you have an EHIC Card if you require treatment in Europe.

EHICs are issued on an individual basis. All individual travellers are therefore required to carry their own EHIC, regardless of age.

You can apply for an EHIC at the Post Office or online by visiting Your application should be processed within 7 days. You can also call the EHIC Application Line (0845 606 2030). Phone applications should be processed within 10 days.

Surgery hours
About online services
Log in to online services
Repeat prescriptions
Test results
NHS services
Register with us
Self help guide
Basic first aid
Our clinical staff
Contact us
Health and Social Care for Northern Ireland
NHS Choices Website